When and Where did I find the word: This morning my Zumba instructor stated that she wanted to teach us a new dance called the "Samba". I thought the word was fun & perfect for my vocabulary journal.
What it Means: According to sambart.com, the Samba dance is very different from other dance forms. "The Samba is a unique and specialized dance form using groups of four to six step movements, incorporating side-to-side, forward-and-backward, and circular motions". In addtion, this definition also mentions that the dance for women is chracterized by high energy symmetrical foot movements accompanied by hip, shoulder, and arm motions. Whereas, men dance around women, using the same foot movements and incorporate hops, jumps and spins.
Samba: Retribed from http://sambart.com/history.htm
Level of Familiarity: Previously, I had heard only heard this word used on "Dancing with the Stars". Aside from that experience, I have not heard this word used in other situations.
Do I want to Know this Word Well and Why? Of Course, I love Zumba & am very interested in learning all the different dance and aerobic elements.
Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well...if so Who and Why? I don't think most people will encounter this word on a daily basis, so I don't think everyone necessarily needs to know this word well. However, it is an interesting word to know. It certainly would be essential to know this word, if you were a dancer or choregrapher.
No comments:
Post a Comment