Sunday, September 25, 2011

4.1 Mnemonic

 

When and Where did I find the word: I came across this word as I was reading Marie Clay's (2005) An Observation Survey of Early Literacy Achievement for LTED 626.  The word was used in the following sentence: "A colleague of mine has collapsed three important characteristics of print into an easily remembered mnemonic" (Clay, 2005, p.22).  

What does it Mean: According to Dictionary.com, mnemonic refers to a learning technique that aids memory.  For example, it could be a short poem or a special word to help a person remember lists, etc.  The definition continues by stating that mnemonic's rely on associations between easy-to-remember constructs that can be related back to what has to be remembered. 

Mnemonic-adj-Retrieved from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mnemonic

Level of Familiarity: I have heard this word used many times before. My parents were always using this word in the past and trying to teach me ways to easily remember information for tests and quizzes.  

Do I want to know this word well and why? Yes, I want to know this word well.  As a teacher of students with special needs, I think knowing how to utilize mnemonic instruction and teaching them how to relate new information to what they already have learned would be extremely beneficial.

Do I think Others Should Know this Word Well... If So, Who and Why? Yes, I think all teachers and parents should be aware of what a mnemonic is and how to help our students create them.  We must give our kids the memory tools they need to help them recall information more effectively. 

No comments:

Post a Comment