When and Where did I find the word: I came across this word as I was reading Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin (2005). The word was used in the sentence, "Basking in the warmth of the fireplace and the aroma of the turkeys and chickens roasting on the spit, he savored the "loquacious" company of the Garret's residents. (Goodwin, 2005, p. 30).
What it Means: According to dictionary.com, "loquacious" means "talking or tending to talk too much". Given this definition, it seems that Goodwin is implying that the Stewards enjoyed social gatherings. They filled evenings with continuous flows of guests, always much food, drink, and conversation.
Loquacious-adj-Retrieved from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/loquacious
Level of Familiarity: Previously, I had never heard of this word. As I was reading the novel however, I was able to determine a vague definition based on context clues. I ended up checking the definition on dictionary.com and I'm now glad that I clarified the definition of this word.
Do I want to know this Word Well and Why? Yes, I want to know this word well since I'm coming across it in the book I"m reading. Now, the next time I see this word, I will know exactly what it means.
Do I Think Others Should Know this Word Well.. If So, Who and Why? I think it is not necessary that everyone know this term, as it is not a term that most people encounter on a daily basis.
Interesting! I have heard the term loquacious used several times before and have also seen it among many books I have read as well and never quite brought myself to look up the definition. The context in which this term has been used most often helps me to understand its general meaning but it's interesting to see this term on this blog. :) I also was unaware we could add vocabulary words from other sources. I thought they had to be from our textbooks. :)
ReplyDelete