When and Where did I find the word? This knotty topic is discussed in depth in Chapter 6 of our LTED 625 text book, Content Area Writing Instruction.
Full citation Daniels, H., Zemelman, S. & Steineke, N. (2007). Content-area writing: Every teacher's guide. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
What it Means? According to Dictionary.com, Assessment is refers to "the act of assessing, appraisal and evaluation."
Assessment-n-Retrieved at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/assessment
Level of Familiarity: I am very familiar with this word and I find it to be one of the scariest for myself as a content teacher..especially when it comes to writing. Our course text gave great suggestions and essentials that will help in my content-area classroom
Do I Want to Know This Word Well and Why? Yes of course!! I think it's imperative that I learn this word and consider how I evaluate students in my classroom. It is my wish that the assessment I create in my classroom encourages learning rahter than just simply ranking and labeling kids.
Do I Think Others Should Know this Word Well...if so, Who and Why? I think all teachers should know this word and be aware of how they evaluate their student's skills. All educators should think about how they can keep their kids engaged, instead of just thinking about getting the test or assignment over with.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMeghan, I love that you said it is a "knotty" topic. Very apropos.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised though that you did not identify a sentence from the reading where you encountered this word. Why did you simply use Dictionary.doc as a means to define assessment? Don't the authors have a particular type of assessment in mind in their discussion? It helps your readers learn more about the word if you provide some type of "real context" where you either heard or read the word.