Sunday, October 23, 2011

8.2 Paranormal

When and Where Did I Find It:  Last night, I went and saw "Paranormal Activity 3" in the theater.  I thought that "paranormal" was a fun & perfect Halloween word for my vocabulary journal. 


What it Means: According to dictionary.com, "Paranormal" refers to "a claimed occurrence of an event or perception without scientific explanation, as psychokinesis, extrasensory perception, or other purportedly supernatural phenomena".  Given this definition, it seems that the creators of "Paranormal Activity" are implying by the title that someone is going to be disturbed by a demonic presence.


Paranormal-adj- Retrieved at http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paranormal

Level of Familiarity: I have used this word previously, and I have heard others use this word in conversation as well. 


Do I Want to Know This Word Well? Yes, I want to know this word well because I have heard it used before, and I know I have used the word in conversation as well.  I want to make sure that I understand the correct meaning of the word whenever I encounter it in conversation and in print.     

Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well... If so, Who and Why? I think it is not necessary that everyone know this term, as it is not a term that most people encounter on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. Meghan,

    I went and saw “Paranormal Activity” this past weekend as well! I really enjoy reading everyone’s’ blogs and reading the interesting and fun words that they find outside that week’s readings. So far, my posts have been strictly from the readings from class. I need to start paying more attention to words I encounter outside of school to join in on the fun!

    -Jessie

    ReplyDelete