Sunday, October 23, 2011

8.1 Clustering

When and Where Did I Find It: I found this term as I was reading Chapter 3 in the Content Area Writing text for class this week.  This was one of the 7 easy writing to learn strategies that can deepen students' thinking, create more engagement, and spark discussion in our classrooms. 


What it Means: According to Harvey, Zemelman, & Steineke (2007),  "clustering is a self-organizing process as words and phrases are spilled onto the page around a center.  The writer jots a key word in the center of a page, draws spokes outward, and in associative fashion writes words connected with the key words in circles at the end of the spokes" (p.55).  The authors elaborate by saying that this is usually not a product but, simply a tool to help students get their thinking started. 



Full citation Daniels, H., Zemelman, S. & Steineke, N. (2007).  Content-area writing:  Every teacher's guide. Portsmouth, NH:  Heinemann.

Level of Familiarity: As a graduate student studying Literacy education, I have encountered this concept numerous times.  I have learned that this brainstorming process can really surface ideas students may need as they think and write about a topic they are exploring.  I have used this technique with my own students in social studies and have found that it really helps them at whatever stage of their writing they are at.  


Do I Want to Know this Word Well & Why? Of course, I want to know this word well.  As a Content Area Social Studies teacher, I think clustering is a great way to help kids get a better handle on content material being present in their massive textbooks.  I have found that when my students create their own explanations for how ideas are related, they remember them much more firmly.  Allowing our kids to cluster can really help our students do more conceptual thinking and get the most out of the content material. 


Do I Think Others Should Know This Word Well... if so Who and Why? I think all educators should know and understand this brainstorming strategy well.  By using a strategy like clustering, students can try out their ideas on paper and think more creatively.  I believe that this tool can really help students get beyond the obvious and draw on more of what they know.

No comments:

Post a Comment