Friday, November 4, 2011

10:2 Waldorf Salad

 When and Where Did I Find the Word? This afternoon, I went to a little restaurant in Elmira called "Sweet and Saucy".  My absolute favorite item on the menu is the Chicken Waldorf salad.  I decided that Waldorf was an interesting word that I wanted to explore this week on for my vocabulary blog. 

What The Word Means? According to audioenglish.net, a Waldorf Salad is one that "typically is made of apples and celery with nuts or raisins and dressed with mayonnaise".  

Waldorf Salad-Noun-Retrieved From http://www.audioenglish.net/dictionary/waldorf_salad.htm

Level of Familiarity: I had this for the first time a little over a year ago and instantly fell in love.  The combination of apples and walnuts, and I sometimes add grapes as well is out of this world.  I have made the salad and I enjoy experimenting with all different sorts of variations...apples or pears, different nuts and dried fruits.  It's very versatile and it makes an awesome lunch. 

Do You Want to Know This Word Well? I think this is an interesting word and I love to cook when I have the time so, yes I do want to know this word well.  If anyone reading my blog has any Waldorf salad recipes that you like.. please, send them my way :)

Do You Want Others To Know This Word Well, if so Who and Why?
I don't think most people will encounter this word on a daily basis, so I don't think everyone necessarily needs to know this word well.  However, it is an interesting word to know.  It certainly would be essential to know this word, if you work in a restaurant or like to cook. 

1 comment:

  1. If you like chicken salad, I recommend the chicken walnut salad sandwich at Hicks and McCarthy's in Pittsford. It is VERY GOOD!

    ReplyDelete