When and Where Did You Find The Word? Last weekend, I was cleaning out my room at home and found a Bible from a high school theology course. On the cover, the Bible stated that an apocrypha was included. Due to the passage of time & lack of contact with this term, I had forgotten its meaning. I thought it would be an interesting word to explore this week on my vocabulary blog. What the Word Means? According to the JSCM Study Center, the apocrypha comes from the Greek apokryphos meaning "hidden things" and refers to "a group of 14 books of the Old Testament included in Roman Catholic and Orthodox Bibles as deutrocanonical but excluded from the Hebrew Bible and from most Protestant Bibles". The JCSM goes on to explain that it is not certain why the term apocrypha was applied to these books, but they were considered less authoritative than the other biblical books because of their late origin.
Level of Familiarity: I know that I have used this word previously, and have heard this word used multiple times throughout my educational career in Catholic Schools. Unfortunately, due to the passage of time I had forgotten its meaning.
Do You Want to Know This Word Well, If So Why? Yes, I would like to know this word well because I have heard it used before, and I know I have used the word in conversation as well. This word is significant in my faith and I would like to make sure that I understand the correct meaning of the word whenever I encounter it.
Do You Want Others To Know This Word Well, If So Who and Why?
While this term is not used incredibly often, I think that others would benefit from knowing this word. It is an interesting and important word to know, especially if you are of the Roman Catholic or Orthodox traditions.
While this term is not used incredibly often, I think that others would benefit from knowing this word. It is an interesting and important word to know, especially if you are of the Roman Catholic or Orthodox traditions.
Meghan you make a great statement at the beginning of your post. You say that "due to the passage of time & lack of contact with this term, I had forgotten its meaning." I can't tell you how many times I have studied a word but then time passes and I come across that word and I completely draw a blank. I think we need to educate students and let them know that this is okay and that it happens to everyone. I have seen students get frustrated over this.
ReplyDelete