When and Where Did You Find the Word? In LTED 626, we have been reading about this informal reading inventory and I finally administered this assessment for the first time to my student in clinic on Thursday.
What the Word Means? According to Leslie & Schudt-Caldwell (2011) "Qualitative Reading Inventory-5", "The QRI is an individually administered informal reading inventory designed to provide information about the conditions under which students can identify words and comprehend text successfully and the conditions that appear to result in unsuccessful word identification or comprehension" (p.1). In addition, the inventory helps instructors "identify students' reading levels (independent, frustrational, or instructional) and provides valuable diagnostic information"(p.1). Mrs. Postler, our graduate professor of LTED 626, has further explained that once we have administered this assessment our results will help us group students for guided reading sessions, choose books for literacy circles, reading workshops, and independent reading.
Level of Familiarity: Prior to LTED 626, I had no idea what the Qualitative Reading Inventory was. After administering the assessment, I have seen what a powerful and informative instrument this tool is.
Do you want to know this word well, if so why? As a literacy specialist, it is imperative that I am familiar with the QRI and know how to use this as an instrument for estimating and determining the reading levels of individual students. In addition, with an increased emphasis on accountability, I think knowing how to utilize this reading inventory will help document my students' growth across a school year.
Do you want others to know this word well, if so who and why? This word is critical for all of my peers in LTED 625 to learn well! Because this tool can be effectively used to estimate the reading levels of our students and provides us valuable diagnostic information, it is imperative that we all know how to administer this assessment.

Yes, I agree. Knowing the QRI allows for a more detailed assessment of students' reading abilities than a Cloze test (for example). When working with MS/HS students, the BADER is another qualitative reading inventory that is commonly used to assess students' reading comprehension proficiencies.
ReplyDelete