Saturday, November 19, 2011

12:3 Gnocchi

When and Where Did You Find The Word: This afternoon, my Italian Grandmother invited my family over to make this pasta from scratch.  Although I am unsure of why she labors in the kitchen to make pasta herself, when she can just zip to the shop and buy them already, fresh or dry still remains a mystery.  But, I have to admit that it was a lot of fun and I was very proud of my handy work :) 

What the Word Means:  According to about.com, "In the culinary arts, the word Gnocchi refers to a type of Italian dumpling made from potatoes and flour and means 'dumpling' in Italian".   The recipe my grandmother uses calls for semolina and Parmesan cheese. 

Retrieved from http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/glossary/g/Gnocchi.htm


Level of Familiarity: I had this for the first time my freshman year of college in Bari, Italy and was shockingly surprised by how much I enjoyed this pasta.  I absolutely love the doughy texture :) I was telling my grandmother about this pasta and she told me that she use to make this pasta by hand with her mother when she was growing up. 

Do You Believe This is a Word You Want to Know Well, If So, Why?  
I think this is an interesting word and I love to cook when I have the time so, yes I do want to know this word well.  If anyone hasn't had the opportunity to try Gnocchi, I highly recommend that you try it :)


Do You Believe this is a Word You Want Others to Know Well, If so Who and Why? I don't think most people will encounter this word on a daily basis, so I don't think everyone necessarily needs to know this word well.  However, it is an interesting word to know.  It certainly would be essential to know this word, if you love your pasta!!!

1 comment:

  1. Meghan, one of the elements of your blog I have enjoyed the most is your shift between "academic" and "every day" words -- I have especially enjoyed those words that identify delicious foods! Yum!

    ReplyDelete